Does the bible say anything about music?

*I do NOT worship Coldplay. I idolize them just as humans, not as gods.*To start off, I’m 15 year old girl, a Christian, and my favorite band is Coldplay. I don't know how to explain it, but when I listen to their music, I feel closer to God. I don't know how to put it into words; you'd have to feel it to understand. I love music, and I always feel so close to God when I listen to Coldplay and they help strengthen my bond with God. And nowadays, a lot (not all!) of people, or "teens", like myself, either worship God, or just music. I, in a way, believe in both. I believe that music helps strengthen your bond with God, but I don't worship music. Music is a "helper", or an angel so to speak. I know someone out there has got to feel the same way. I just wanted to know if the Bible has a quote, or a passage based on music. Good or bad; I just want to know the truth, or if someone feels the same way. Sorry for the bad grammar and the eternity of questions. And thank you to everyone who has even reached this point in this essay of mine, and who replies! :)

• I have to write an essay about MUSIC? PLEASE HELP ME AND GET FREE 10 Points..? - The question states that how kind of effect does music have one you?Do you feel different when you listen to your favorite music? How?Please give me some of your ideas. Thank you.
  • What are some allusions to the Bible in Shakespeare’s literature? - I’m writing an essay on religion and public schools, and I need some actual examples of Biblical allusions or subtle references to Bible stories.The best example I can think of currently is how the popular children’s movie The Lion King is based off the story of Hamlet. But I need something based off the bible!
  • Do you think parents should censor the kind of music their kids listen to? - In my english class, were doing essay on whether or not its right for parents to censor music. I don’t agree with parents censoring music their kids listen to. But we have to the have 3 reasons why they shouldn’t censor the music and i cant think of any reasons. Can any of you help
  • Help! I need a title idea for my essay!? - I don’t usually like to ask for homework help, but I am going blank on title ideas. Could someone give me some ideas please? The essay is a narrative from when I worked at Vacation Bible school last summer. The theme was science. One of the girls in my group was hogging me sort of.
  • What are some generic quotes for the ACT? - I’m taking the ACT tomorrow, and I need some quotes for the essay that fit with a lot of subjects. I already have a few from FDR’s first inaugural address.”This is preeminently the time to speak the truth, the whole truth, frankly and boldly.”"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.”I need things
  • Do I get ponty’s the algorithm? - I am in a philosophy class and we r currently studying Merleau ponty, His essay on the algorithm and the mystery of language to me seems to be saying that words as we know are based off of decided truths and anything we discovery after that is founded on the original presumption so we are
  • Toshiba Notebook Computer Question? - Hi there everyone. I just have a quick question…I’m looking to buy a Toshiba Notebook Computer seeing they are pretty reasonable and I’ve heard great reviews on them from friends and on some sites as well. I’m currently a sophomore in college and I plan on transferring to a 4 year university pretty soon. I

21 Responses to “Does the bible say anything about music?”

1. joinable says:

There are many scriptures that speak of praising God with music – harp, cymbols, lyre. David played his harp to sooth King Saul. Singing and music are certainly Biblically ways to praise & worship God. Do a web search for more info.

2. splairge says:

Yup. It says that David, who was an excellent harp player, was sent by Saul to ease his severe headaches by playing the harp and singing and reciting Psalms.Also, the Bible refers to the rams horn’s which the Levite priests blew for particular purposes…including blowing them (or trumpets) to crumble the walls of Jericho.I believe it also mentions flute players, but cannot remember where -

3. Baume says:

Music came from God. It was given to man at the moment of creation when ‘the morning stars sang together’ (Job 38:7). The Bible alone provides an acceptable explanation for the origin of music and musical instruments. We read in Scripture that God surrounds Himself with angelic choirs and the songs of the redeemed sinners (Rev. 14:2–3). A heavenly choir of angels sang at the birth of Christ. We are told to ‘sing to the Lord’ as Ills saints, to ‘praise His holy name’ (Psalm 30:4). Again, we are exhorted to ‘sing joyfully to the Lord’ and to ‘praise the Lord with the harp’, ‘make music to Him on the ten-stringed lyre’, ‘play skilfully and shout for joy’ (Psalm 33:2–3). The purpose of music was, and is, to praise God.Music provides joy because music has been provided by God. The theory of evolution can never postulate even a faintly satisfactory explanation for the origin of music or why it affects us. When we realise that God wants us to worship Him through music we see God as the Master Musician — the conductor of all life. Musical instruments are mentioned early in the Bible. We are told in Genesis 4:21 that Jubal was the father of all who play the harp and flute. Without the Bible we are unable to identify the first musician or the earliest instrument makers.

4. bambinos says:

I agree with you. Read about David and how he used his music to glorify God.

5. conde's says:

16 Yea, how could you have given way to the enticing of him who is seeking to hurl away your souls down to everlasting misery and endless wo? 17 O repent ye, repent ye! Why will ye die? Turn ye, turn ye unto the Lord your God. Why has he forsaken you? 18 It is because you have hardened your hearts; yea, ye will not hearken unto the voice of the good shepherd; yea, ye have provoked him to anger against you.

6. naikcol says:

a way to show your love for the lord is though music

7. auraria says:

Well, Jesus and his apostles sang a hymn before going to the Mount of Olives to begin the atonement, and Jews have always been fond of music and dancing.If you like the music, then analyze the lyrics to see if they persuade you to the kind of life you want. If not, find something better. If you’re listening to the Osmonds, you’re safe … and possibly asleep.

8. overintellectual says:

BIBLE SAYS TO PRAISE THE LORT!

9. cordy says:

I don’t think I’ve heard a Christian argument against music since the Cromwell era in England… or in Puritan New England. If you want to take it to that extreme, go ahead it’s a free country. I don’t see a need for it. There definatly is something spiritual about music… keep listening. :)

10. eorhyolite says:

We are blessed by Christian songs and the music that goes with it

11. retrieval's says:

Psa_66:1 To the chief Musician, A Song or Psalm. Make a joyful noise unto God, all ye lands: Psa_81:1 To the chief Musician upon Gittith, A Psalm of Asaph. Sing aloud unto God our strength: make a joyful noise unto the God of Jacob. Psa_95:1 O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation. Psa_95:2 Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms. Psa_98:4 Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise. Psa_98:6 With trumpets and sound of cornet make a joyful noise before the LORD, the King. Psa_100:1 A Psalm of praise. Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.

12. escruage says:

Yeah they always Bernie dance in the bible to some resurrecting music.

13. leptocentric says:

Remember the song..Give thanks and praise to the lord? By Bob Marley.Well, the bible mentions dancing and singing as a way to celebrate life and love…Google dancing and singing in the bible into google…Then read.I’m no Christian, just well read

14. interrogatee says:

You are talking as if Bible is a single book or a book written by a single author. Bible is a collection of books written by different authors over a period of thousands of years. Now, probably you can ask the question in a different manner to make better sense.Psalms is a book of songs sung by the Israelites. Most of the songs were written by king David.

15. ENG-NET says:

well there is music, song and dance throughout scriptureDavid danced for the Lord2Sa 6:14 And David danced before the LORD with all [his] might; and David [was] girded with a linen ephod. and the first musical instruments were invented by JubalGen 4:20 And Adah bare Jabal: he was the father of such as dwell in tents, and [of such as have] cattle. Gen 4:21 And his brother’s name [was] Jubal: he was the father of all such as handle the harp and organ.

16. verificative says:

Well first of all, the bible is stupid, and god doesnt exist, so um listen to all the music you want to your heart’s content, don’t even care about the bible just listen to music who cares if a book says something about something

17. sparlings says:

the bible contradicts itself a lot so i wouldn’t trust what it said about music

18. kariotta says:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO!

19. euryon says:

The Bible does mention song and melodies.Angels in heaven create songs, and play instruments (trumpets at Revelation).King David and Asaph composed music.The first musician was Jubal, according to the book of Genesis.Jesus attended a wedding that had music and dancing.

20. defmacx says:

God’s Word, the Bible, admonishes those who would please him to “present [their] bodies a sacrifice living, holy, acceptable to God, a sacred service with [their] power of reason.” (Romans 12:1) Clearly, our emotions are part of that ‘living sacrifice.’ So if we should ever find that through the power of music, our emotions are beginning to becloud our critical judgment and reason and misdirect our actions, then it is time to change our music-listening habits. Remember: The power of music can affect your heart and your mind—either for good or for bad!A singer is idolized because he has a smooth voice or striking looks. But what are his morals? Is not the life-style of many rock idols one of foolishness? The Bible also warns Christians: “Friendship with the world is enmity with God.” (James 4:4) Would it not jeopardize your friendship with God if you set your heart on a person whose conduct God condemns? It is also wrong to harbor amorous feelings for someone married.—Proverbs 5:15-18.This is true even when the idolized one leads a reasonably acceptable life. What do you call it when a youth’s room is decorated wall to wall with pictures of a beloved singing star? Is it not dangerously akin to idolatry? “I don’t idolize him at all,” says many young girls of their favorite singer. But also says: “I am always thinking about this particular person . . . I have to get this person out of my mind.”Forms of Idolatry. Acts of idolatry referred to in the Bible included such revolting practices as ceremonial prostitution, child sacrifice, drunkenness, and self-laceration to the point of causing blood to flow. (1Ki 14:24; 18:28; Jer 19:3-5; Ho 4:13, 14; Am 2:8) Idols were venerated by partaking of food and drink in festivals or ceremonies in their honor (Ex 32:6; 1Co 8:10), by bowing and sacrificing to them, by song and dance before them, and even by a kiss. (Ex 32:8, 18, 19; 1Ki 19:18; Ho 13:2) Idolatry was also committed by arranging a table of food and drink for false gods (Isa 65:11), by making drink offerings, sacrificial cakes, and sacrificial smoke (Jer 7:18; 44:17), and by weeping in religious ceremony (Eze 8:14). Certain actions, such as tattooing the flesh, making cuttings upon the flesh, imposing baldness on the forehead, cutting the sidelocks, and destroying the extremity of the beard, were prohibited by the Law, possibly, at least in part, because of being linked with prevailing idolatrous practices of neighboring peoples.—Le 19:26-28; De 14:1.Then there are the more subtle forms of idolatry. Covetousness is idolatry (Col 3:5), since the object of an individual’s cravings diverts affection from the Creator and thus, in effect, becomes an idol. Instead of serving Jehovah God in faithfulness, a person can become a slave to his belly, that is, to fleshly desire or appetite, and make this his god. (Ro 16:18; Php 3:18, 19) Since love for the Creator is demonstrated by obedience (1Jo 5:3), rebellion and pushing ahead presumptuously are comparable to acts of idolatry.—1Sa 15:22, 23.The Bible clearly says: “Guard yourselves from idols.” (1 John 5:21) And Christians need to keep in mind that adoration belongs ONLY to God.

21. piggiest says:

No, I don’t get you, sorry. I’m a guy and coldplay is too ‘soft’ for me and really says nothing.